Wednesday, January 20, 2010

English Language Center



English Language Center

I went to visit my first NGO yesterday. Georgia is full of small institutions referred to as non government organizations that perform many of the functions that in the west are done by government—education, policy work, social services, health related services and the like. Rita Prokopenko has studied with us at the university in Lincoln and is becoming a frequent visitor to Lincoln with small groups of students from her school. I met some of the students who will travel with her to Lincoln in May. I asked one of them if he would write a guest blog entry so sometime in the next several weeks you will hear from Nika Kubardianika. I think I have his name reasonably right. I still struggle a bit with Georgian names.

I am including a couple of pictures of Rita’s school. Some of you may recognize Taka, the young woman who joined the CEHS dance class and taught people a Georgian folk dance.

I am interested in this school. Rita has developed it as a institution that helps IDPs in Georgia. IDPs are “internally displaced persons). These are those who have been victims of struggles within Georgia. Various conflicts have resulted in many dislocations with consequent problems. Learning English is one of the very important tools young Georgians, particularly IDPs, have for improving their life chances. When Nika writes about his own experiences in the school, you and I will learn more.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Dr. Miles Bryant,
    Thank you for your useful activities and love in Georgia. I am Professor of Gori University at the time I am Head of Educational Department of Provisional Administration of South Ossetia. After Russian invasion in August, 2008 our administration displaced in Tbilisi. I work on the problems of IDP schoolchild and teachers. Therefore I am especially grateful for your interest in IDP’s.
    I am now at University of Nebraska, as Fellow JFDP 2010. Here is best conditions for JFDP Fellows to work and get professional experience.
    And finally Thanks a lot for your permission for use your room #133.
    I hope to meet you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miles, I am just wondering how these NGOs are supported. Since they are non-governmental, there is no funding from the government. And the public donation, I believe, is not the main source in this country. So, Are these NGOs mainly supported by fundings outside of Georgia? If so, it may be interesting to see how the foreign interests and educational values influence Georgia.

    Xiao

    ReplyDelete